Thoughts and ramblings

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Ballett

Last night, my friend Jen, her stepdaughter and her stepdaughter's friend went to see a local ballett school recital.

I have always enjoyed watching ballett. When Patrick is watching TreeHouse and the Toy Castle comes on, I am mesmorized! As a child, I always wanted to be a ballerina, and someday I would really like to see NutCracker.

Reading the newspaper last week (www.shorelinebeacon.com) I saw an advertisement for the ballett recital. It wasn't mearly groups of kids coming out to perform one song and then disappearing, but rather a true ballett with a storey line and terrific music and a narrator to tell us about the scene we were about to see. The ballett was 4th in a series of original balletts written by the dance teacher and included a good fairy, a wicked fairy, a village man, and lots of little faries, gnomes, and villagers. It was quite entertaining!

I especially enjoyed seeing the little 'rosebuds' and the 'bluebirds'; all little girls less than 6 years old. So cute! I also enjoyed the older girls with their precise and graceful steps and spins. The only true problem with the recital was that there were no boys to play the male roles, and it was slightly discerting to see a woman playing a man, especially during the 'courtship' and 'wedding' scences. But overall, I really enjoyed myself!

Afterwards, we went to the Queens for drinks (I had a virgin strawberry daquri--YUM) and snacks. Our platter contained a multitude of things, including battered & deepfried asparagus, sweet potato and turnip. Very odd, but enjoyable none-the-less.

I didn't get home until 10:30 and was still awake at midnight.