Thoughts and ramblings

Monday, February 27, 2006

Paint, part 2

I've made excellent progress with my painting today. Patrick had 3 great naps and Shaun was home early, so that helped a lot!

All the baseboard is primed. All the doors on the main floor are primed (back door, bathroom door, basement door and hall closet doors). I've primed down the stairs up as far as I can reach, and about 1/2 of the main floor is primed floor to ceiling. The upstairs was primed in the summer. All in all, I think I spent about 5 hours painting today and went through an entire gallon!

We've picked the wall colour -- its called Colorado Grey, and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, but I can't decide how many gallons to get! We've gone through 2 cans of primer, and I figure we'll need the 3rd. I am also pretty sure that it will require 2 coats of the colour to get a good finish. I think maybe I'll get 3... and I can always get more. The reason I'd like to get it all now is that it is on sale!

I also have to decide what colour 'white' I want as a finish. Can you believe there are different ones??? Crazy! I got some samples and will check them against my living room trim in the daylight.

I also need to pick up 'door sealer'. Upstairs we have.. I think they're called ... contractor doors. They're hideous and brown, and not really wood, and if you just paint them, they swell and can't shut properly -- I learned this when I painted the one on the master bedroom in the summer. I'd much rather replace them, but its not really in the budget :( I still have 4 doors upstairs to prime and paint, and the bathroom door just needs to be re-painted with the top coat.

AND I still have 2 weeks to finish before my parents come :) I think I'll be fine.