Thoughts and ramblings

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Feelin' crafty

During the time when I couldn't post pictures, I completely forgot to tell you about the mobile I made for Patrick's room! Its the solar system, complete with yellow-ball sun, 9 glow-in-the-dark planets, stars, all hanging from the milkey way.

I got the planets from e-bay, bought the sun at the dollar store and got a wicker 'plate' to hang it all from at the Salvation Army for 35 cents. I sprayed the plate black, and then painted on glitter glue so it looked like distant stars when you look up at it. I hung the planets and sun and stars with invisible thread, I even hung the planets in the correct order AND with increasing orbit around the 'sun'. At the outer edges I hung glow-in-the-dark stars that my mother in law had picked up for P in the states.

After we attached it to the ceiling (3 hooks for leveling purposes) I stuck the extra small glow stars to the walls around to give it depth.

I am soooo pleased with it! It was super annoying to assemble but worth it!! Working with the invisible thread made me think of the Emperor's new clothes!! But it is done and hung and when P gets up in the morning I will take some pictures!

My next mobile project is for sprout's room. I bought a wicker 'ring' which I will spray white and I bought some stuffed animals (everything is from the salvation army) to hang from it, this time with ribbons. I plan to hang it over the changing table as something to look at. I'm also replacing the stars from P's crib mobile (see nursery picture) with coloured elephants to better go with the theme.