Thoughts and ramblings

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A Tribute to Great Aunt Pete

Great Aunt Pete, or just Aunt Pete as we called her, was Grandma Fessy's older sister. Grandma and Aunt Pete also had 2 older brothers. Before Pete was born, the two brothers had decided that their mother was pregnant with another boy, and they were going to call him Pete. When she was born, her parents named her Eleanor, but her brothers called her Pete. And so she was known. Growing up I never questioned that she had a typical boy's name. That was simply her name. Everyone called her that: family, friends. I'll never forget the panicked look on one woman's face when my grandmother came into the church washroom and asked"Pete are you in here?" ha ha!

When we were little, my sister and I would sometimes spend time at Aunt Pete's house when were visiting G&G Fessy in Alcona. She had this great collection of --- I'm not sure what substance they were -- clay maybe -- animals that were highly varnished. We used to set up farms all over her living room floor. She also had a collection of comic books that she would bring out for us, and we'd spend hours reading them in the spare bedroom. I remember loving her bathroom -- all her fixtures were a pale blue. I thought it was very unique!

My Nama (my mom's mom) and Aunt Pete were terrific friends. I'm not sure if they ever corresponded by mail or telephone, but whenever we all got together they were best of friends. I have a great picture, somewhere, of the two of them at Thanksgiving in St. Jacobs with HUGE sundae's infront of them.

Eventually the house became too much for her, and she moved into the park where my grandparents lived. She had a nice little home and she had people to take care of the lawn, gardens and snow removal. She would come over to my grandparents' place when we would visit and we'd all sit around talking. I loved that she spoke her mind. She was always very frank about what she thought. I liked that she didn't try to hid her true feelings.

About 2 years ago, Aunt Pete was moved into a care facility. She really didn't want to go, but she was on so many medications and spent so much time sleeping that it was likely the best decision, it just wasn't handeled very well. Sara, Mom and I went to visit her in her home one last time and she had a few things on the dining room table. She asked us to take whatever we wanted. I took a cake plate, and mom took a bowl. I can't remember what Sara took. But they were all unique pieces -- just like Aunt Pete.

The last time I saw Aunt Pete was at my Grandmother's funeral this past July. She got to meet Patrick and that was important to me. This past Christmas I sent her a card that had lots of pictures of Patrick in it.

I feel robbed of having the opportunity to attend a service for her. I think its rotten that her son didn't feel that this was something he needed to do. I am glad, however, that she is no longer in pain and has been re-united with her sister.

I'm glad I have a place like this to let the whole world know about her, a place where I can remember her for who she was.