Thoughts and ramblings

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Hair

Yesterday Patrick had an appointment at 3 p.m. to get his hair cut. We got there just before 3, rushing actually, because I hate to be late. We got in, registered with the receptionist and sat down in the waiting area.... and then walked around... and then explored the entire facility (P was wanting to walk and hold my hands) and then waited... until the hairdresser told me that due to a scheduling error she would be about 15 more minutes, on top of the 15 minutes we had already waited. I decided to take P outside for a quick stroll because he was getting restless. We came back within the time frame, and she was ready to cut his hair, but I was upset that we had to wait. Afterall, I made an appointment and he's a toddler, and their facility isn't really toddler friendly. I let it go. She does such a good job on his hair.

Today I had an appointment. It was for 3:30. I arrived at 3:25, told the receptionist who I was, what time my appointment was for and who it was with. She said "have a seat" and I sat down and started going through old magazines. At 3:45, I started to get upset. I could see the hairdresser wrapping a perm. The receptionist was doing nothing, and everyone kept glancing at me but no one said anything. Instead of getting upset, I decided that I would wait until 4:00, and if I wasn't served or spoken to by that point I would leave without saying a word. I figured I would never be sitting there THAT long. I was wrong.

At 4:00, I put the magazine back on the stand, stood up and walked out. No one said anything. I was very upset! I knew if I had said something I would have gotten emotional so I didn't. But my head was just whriling.

"is my business that unimportant to them?"
"Was I invisible?"
"why did they ignore me"
"Why do I keep having to wait?"

I decided on the way home I would never go back there. Patrick and I will have to find somewhere else to go that will appreciate our patrionage.

When I got home, I lost it. I talked to Shaun about it and we decided together that when I was less emotional I should call and talk to them about how disappointed I was. It took me until 5 to calm down enough to call.

The receptionist answered the phone. She was indifferent that I was upset and disappointed and seemed to say "oh" and "I see" just to 'appease' me. I asked to speak directly to the stylist I had booked with and told her what had happened. She was surprised that the receptionist hadn't said anything beyond "have a seat" to me. She seemed a bit PO'd about it too. She offered to reschedule. I declined. We hung up.

I am still angry.