Thoughts and ramblings

Sunday, November 06, 2005

So here's my delima...

I have a constant and nagging question that I have to answer shortly. Every day it seems I change my mind about the whole thing. I just don't know what to do.

My maternity leave is over Feb 10th, and my job wants me back. Actually, I've been working there once a week for 3-4 hours doing billing to help out because the lady they had replacing me while I was gone quit without any notice. There is now a super-nice technician working in my stead, but she is still in the midst of training.

I've also been looking into working from home, and am actually checking out a work-from-home company now. The company is amazing, and so is the product, but I just don't know how I'd fit in WORK with Patrick and housework too with Shaun working 12 hour shifts.

So... do I become a Stay at home mom? Do I work part time and put my precious little guy in daycare? Do I persue this work-from-home stuff and cross my toes that I can find the time to do it?

If I go back to Independent, it would be on a part-time basis only, for a maximum of three 8-hour days a week. I'd likely need daycare for Patrick for 2 of those days. I think the interaction with the other kids would be great for Patrick but how do I trust someone with my precious little boy? Is it worth it to work out of home, have to pay for daycare and still find the time to keep house? Also, I know the current technician wants full-time hours. She wants to move out of her house into an apartment and couldn't do that on part-time hours. IF she leaves, that means that I'd have to train someone new, AND keep up with all the regular stuff in half the regular time.

If I decide to work from home, I have to find time to do it, but I also wouldn't have to pay for daycare. Today wouldn't have been an issue as Patrick has been very sleepy, and I think I would have had time. But what about when he becomes more active and takes fewer naps?

If I decide to be a stay-at-home mom, our income is decreased and we won't be able to do as many house repairs as we would like to. I would, however, get to spend lots of time with Patrick and see all his milestones as they develop. Without the pressure of having a 'job' I would be able to join mom's groups, and set up play dates for Patrick. I might also go stir-crazy.

I still have lots of thinking to do.